Live Chat
During This Challenging Time

We are open for business and remain dedicated to your case! All those working on-site and remotely are still available to answer your questions. The well-being of our clients and staff are vital, so we will provide updates as the situation progresses.

During This Challenging Time Close

Obtaining a Commuter Green Card

February 16, 2016

“I live in Mexico but travel regularly to the U.S. to work for a U.S. employer”

States such as Texas which have a border with a contiguous territory of the United States see a higher incidence of lawful permanent residents living in Mexico but commuting to work in the United States. You may wonder how this is even possible given the significant amount of regulation applicable to maintaining one’s green card. This is known as commuter status and is generally available only to residents of Mexico and Canada. Working in the United States allows these residents to accrue at least 6 months of presence in the U.S. during a continuous 12-month period, a requirement to maintain this type of green card. If a commuter resident doesn’t work in the U.S. for a continuous 6-month period, the resident is in danger of losing the green card. Two exceptions to this requirement are 1) a loss of employment due to circumstances beyond the commuter’s control such as illness or injury (but not lack of job opportunity in the U.S.) and 2) situations where commuters can demonstrate to Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials that they worked in the U.S. for at least 90 days in the 12-month period before trying to enter the United States. CBP officers monitor travel patterns of commuter residents to make sure they are maintaining status in this way.

Important to note is that commuter residents cannot apply for U.S. citizenship and count the time they have been living outside the country – this is because they can’t meet the residence requirement without actually living in the United States. A commuter resident wishing to become eligible for naturalization should move to the U.S. and obtain a new green card that does not have a commuter designation on it.

Applying for and renewing commuter lawful permanent resident status requires specific knowledge of the procedures involved. Please contact our Texas-based law firm for a consultation in this area.


Use the form below to send us a note, call us at 214.890.0711 or chat with us live. We are eager to help with your legal needs. Please keep in mind that any unsolicited information sent through our website cannot be treated as confidential. Contacting us through this site does not create a representation relationship with Fears Nachawati.

Contact Us


With offices across Texas, and attorneys licensed in Texas, Florida, Arkansas, New Mexico, California, Illinois, District of Columbia, Missouri and Oklahoma, Fears Nachawati is dedicated to attaining the best possible solutions for our clients’ business and personal needs. We strive to be professionals who are creative, empathetic and reliable.

All Areas Served

We Can Help

Contact Fears Nachawati today

Free Consultation

Live Chat (Online Now)