Construction site accident facts and statistics
Every day in the United States, workers are injured while on the job. Sadly, the number of injuries – and fatalities – is far higher for those working in the construction industry. In fact, in 2004, the Federal Bureau of Labor Statistics stated that the construction industry has the second highest number of fatalities of all industries in the U.S. The study also revealed that construction workers have a higher-than-average number of days off from work due to illness or injury.
Other studies have indicated that one out of every ten construction workers will be injured on the job at some point during their career.
The stakes are even higher for construction workers in Texas. Since 1992, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Texas has ranked either first or second in the number of workplace injuries per year – construction site accidents accounted for the largest number of those injuries. In 2004, for instance, Texas was in second place with 114 fatalities in the construction sector.
Other shocking statistics related to construction site accidents include:
- Research conducted by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health showed that, in 2007, construction accidents caused the highest number of fatalities of any industry.
- In 2007, over 1,100 construction-related fatalities were reported.
- Falls are the most common cause of fatal construction site accidents.
- After falls, transportation accidents, falling objects and electrocution are the most common causes of construction-related deaths, respectively.
- Of all workers compensation costs across the country, 15% are due to construction site accidents.
As these statistics show, the construction industry is a highly dangerous occupation that puts workers at serious risk of suffering an on-the-job injury. If you or a loved one has been injured in a construction site accident, contact us today.
The Texas personal injury lawyers of Fears Nachawati provide free legal advice to victims of construction site injuries. Simply email us at email@example.com or call us on our toll-free number at 1.866.705.7584.