Can I live in another country and still maintain my permanent resident status?

August 25, 2015

If you move to another country with the intent of living there permanently or if you remain outside of the United States for more than 1 year without obtaining a reentry permit, you will likely be deemed to have abandoned your permanent resident status. In determining whether your status has been abandoned, however, the government may consider any length of absence from the United States, even if less than 1 year.

More Blog Posts


Use the form below to send us a note, call us at 214.890.0711, or chat with us live. We are eager to help you. Please keep in mind that any unsolicited information sent through our website cannot be treated as confidential. Contacting us through this site does not create a representation relationship with Fears Nachawati.

Inquiry Type

  • General
  • Personal Injury
  • Immigration
  • Bankruptcy
  • Drug Litigation
  • Family Law


With offices in Texas, Florida, and Colorado, and attorneys licensed in Texas, Florida, Colorado, Arkansas, and Oklahoma, Fears Nachawati is dedicated to attaining the best possible solutions for our clients’ business and personal needs. We are creative, empathetic, and reliable professionals.

All Areas Served

We Can Help

Contact Fears Nachawati today

Free Consultation

Live Chat (Online Now)