Can I Get Fired For Filing Bankruptcy?

August 9, 2009

If you are contemplating filing for bankruptcy you may be wondering how it will affect your job. This is understandable because while you do want to get rid of your debts, you do not want to lose your job. The good news is that you cannot get fired for filing bankruptcy because federal law prohibits an employer to discriminate against you for declaring personal bankruptcy.


Your constitutional rights protect you from being fired for filing bankruptcy. In fact, it is a violation of your rights, not to mention a crime, to fire someone for filing bankruptcy.


If anything, once your debts are discharged through a Chapter 7 bankruptcy or a proposed payment plan is approved through a Chapter 13 filing, you will sleep better, feel less stressed and will be able to better concentrate at work.


Additionally, if creditors are threatening you with liens, it may be a wise step to file for bankruptcy to freeze any type of collection action against your paycheck.


Contact bankruptcy law firm, Fears | Nachawati, by calling us toll free at 1.866.705.7584 or e-mailing us at to find out how bankruptcy can help you get rid of debts.


More Blog Posts


Use the form below to send us a note, call us at 214.890.0711, or chat with us live. We are eager to help you. Please keep in mind that any unsolicited information sent through our website cannot be treated as confidential. Contacting us through this site does not create a representation relationship with Fears Nachawati.

Inquiry Type

  • General
  • Personal Injury
  • Immigration
  • Bankruptcy
  • Drug Litigation
  • Family Law


With offices in Texas, Florida, and Colorado, and attorneys licensed in Texas, Florida, Colorado, Arkansas, and Oklahoma, Fears Nachawati is dedicated to attaining the best possible solutions for our clients’ business and personal needs. We are creative, empathetic, and reliable professionals.

All Areas Served

We Can Help

Contact Fears Nachawati today

Free Consultation

Live Chat (Online Now)